Unofficial EPL Website

EPL news and fixtures since 2008

Font Size


REPORT: Lightning bounce back to seal maximum points weekend in Bracknell (5 March)

User Rating:  / 0

Milton Keynes Lightning logo The Smith Recycling Milton Keynes Lightning made it five wins from five against Bracknell Bees when they won 5-4 at The Hive on Sunday - but not before they conceded four second period goals to trail by three at the second break.

As 24 hours previously it was a late Antti Hölli strike that ensured Lightning of victory after third session markers from Lewis Hook and Tom Carlon had drawn the visitors level by the 50th minute.

Michael Farn was again missing from the line-up due to injury, together with sixth import Milan Baranyk.

Adam Carr and man of the match Craig Scott both had early attempts on goal before an eighth minute penalty on Danny Ingoldsby for charging gave the travellers a powerplay from which Jordan Cownie opened MK's account on 8mins 41secs - helped by Hölli and Frankie Bakrlik.

It did not, however, signal the start of Lightning taking control and they had to be content with the single goal lead at the first interval - despite Scott and Blaz Emersic forcing saves from goalie Alex Mettam.

Within 39 seconds of the restart Luka Basic set up Josh Smith to stun Lightning with an equaliser.

Only 26 seconds then elapsed before netminder Przemy Odrobny was caught out again by a Shaun Thompson shot, assisted by Harvey Stead and Josh Tetlow.

When Cownie was handed two minute penalty for interference by referee Roman Szucs Bees were able to capitalise to make it 3-1 through Alex Barker - the supply coming from Luka Basic and Shaun Thompson.

The situation deteriorated even further for Lightning less than 90 seconds later when Basic and Josh Smith were involved in Bees' fourth goal from Martin Pavlicek on 29mins 26secs.

Bees' Jack Hayes was despatched to the sin bin on a two plus 10 minute penalty for checking to the head of Glenn Billing - the player having to leave the play for dressing room treatment.

The outcome saw Lightning score on the resulting powerplay - the play starting with Hölli with Bakrlik the provider for Hook to revive the team's hopes at 33mins 15secs.

That was all the visitors could manage in the middle stanza but they got off on the good foot in the third period with Hook on target again within 19 seconds of the drop of the puck - Bakrlik and Cownie assisting.

A clash between Mikolaj Lopuski and Stead resulted in both players receiving four minutes in the cooler for roughing and the Polish player assessed an extra two for cross checking. Nothing came of the Bees powerplay.

It was to prove costly when Carr was the supplier for Carlon to register the equaliser after 50mins 25secs.

Lightning then edged in front for the second time at a crucial time as Hook and Cownie were the suppliers for Hölli to beat Mettam after 54mins 42secs.

Bees called a timeout with 1min 32secs remaining and withdrew Mettam to bring on an extra skater.

Neither that or the six on four advantage they gained after Lopuski was assessed a two minute penalty for cross checking enabled them to draw level again and it was MK who went home happiest with a 5-4 victory.

Man of the Match: Craig Scott (F)

Report: Paul Brookman

Click here for more information and news from the Milton Keynes Lightning website

Click here to see the latest Milton Keynes Lightning roster for the 2016/17 season

You are here: Home Home Match Reports Milton Keynes Lightning Match Reports Milton Keynes Lightning REPORT: Lightning bounce back to seal maximum points weekend in Bracknell (5 March)

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

I accept cookies from this site.

EU Cookie Directive Module Information